About Me

My photo
filmmaker/musician/writer/romantic/psychotic/lucid dreamer

Sunday, July 6, 2008

so I downloaded the new-ish panic! at the disco album.

and then I hung my head in shame.

and I also know that the '!' was taken out of their name. but i like it anyway.

Now as I listen to it on my porch on the last night at this house (I'm moving tomorrow) I am finding myself thinking This album is fucking good. Now let me say something. I am NOT a Panic! At The Disco fan. But this album does something else that their previous work didn't do. Many bands have tried to it but few have succeeded. Even those who fail sometime become popular. This band successfully re-invented the past with the release of "Pretty. Odd". They looked back and built upon the great musical traditions that bands like the Beatles, Stones, Kinks and Zombies had laid.


With this album Panic! enters the elite band of artists like the Brian Jonestown Massacre and Neutral Milk Hotel. These bands do not play Rolling Stones covers with different lyrics. They expand upon the genre while still making the original inspiration audible in their music.


and I think that's pretty fucking cool.

No comments: